June TUSS News for Staff

The Towson University Staff Senate (TUSS) is the advocate body for all university staff employees. All TU staff are general members of the senate and are encouraged to attend general meetings. Meeting agendas and minutes are posted to TUSS SharePoint.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE RECENT TUSS MEETING:

• Stratus: Stratus continues to improve, and reports continue to be released. More functionality for budget officers is coming as well. Drop-in year-end training is being offered and messaging was sent out that included these details:

Remaining Dates and Times: Monday, June 26: 10 a.m.-12 p.m.; Wednesday, June 28: 1-3 p.m.; Friday June 30: 1-3 p.m.

To join on the dates listed above and during the specified 2-hour window, please go to: https://towson.webex.com/meet/bstarkloff. You will get a message that the host will admit you. Depending on the demand, you may have to wait in the waiting room of the meeting briefly if there are others in line ahead of you.

• Budget: Reminder to review budgets all year long, not just at year-end. Budgets remain tight but TU is ok. Enrollment numbers remain strong. Budget officers are already looking ahead to FY25.
  • Assets inventory: Once the inventory data is accurate in Stratus, inventory coordinators will be given access. Following questions from senators and the past chair, a discussion of improvements to inventory and property records processes took place. Commitments to work on it were made.
  • Office of Inclusion and Institutional Equity: VP Bradley will meet with Deans and VPs about the diversity strategic plan. The DEI Summit will be held in the fall. The annual Diversity Awards timeline had to shift, so expect award announcements at the DEI Summit.
  • Pension benefit: The state is re-introducing a benefit for pension members with supplemental retirement plans, in which they will contribution-match up to $600 over the fiscal year. Pension members can still open a supplemental retirement plan and begin contributing to access this benefit. Don’t miss out – invest in yourself!
  • Referral bonuses: TU is considering offering referral bonuses for hiring new staff referred by an existing employee, which would include three payments – 90 days, 6 months, and 1 year – for a total of $1750. Office of Human Resources (OHR) is reviewing eligibility and eliminating possible “gaming of the system.”
  • Compliance training: We are currently at a 97% completion rate. Congrats! Remember this is important information and a requirement tied to funding for TU, so be sure to complete training when requested.
  • Market Assessment & Pay Study (MAPS): Phase II is nearly completed. Expect a status update from OHR in the coming weeks. Also, the University System of Maryland (USM) approved and will post non-exempt position salary ranges.
  • Smith Hall Renovation: The exterior fencing will go up this summer and extend somewhat far up Glen Drive to acclimate the campus community to the area. Construction activity will not start until October/November.
  • Council of University System Staff (CUSS): TU will host the meeting in April 2024.
  • TUSS anniversary: Thank you to Felicity Knox, Assistant University Archivist Librarian and TU’s unofficial historian, for a presentation on the 30 years leading to what is now our TU Staff Senate.
  • TUSS elections: Welcome new At-Large Senator Erika Carroll!
  • TUSS outgoing senators: We thank the outgoing senators for their service: Ashley Arnold, David Brasington, LaVern Chapman, and Carol Green-Willis.
  • TUSS Executive Board: TUSS is pleased to announce the results of the Executive Board election. The 23-24 Executive Board is: Chair: Heather Sorensen; Vice Chair: Andrew Rosenblum; Secretary: Vickie Hook; Treasurer: Keisha Bownes; and Communications Officer: Greg Primrose.

QUESTION FOR STAFF:

Did you participate in Staff Appreciation Week June 12-16? Let us know your thoughts at tuss@towson.edu.

REMINDERS:

AWARDS:

Top Tigers 

Join us in congratulating recent Top Tiger Award recipients:

• Travis Girvin
  • Jeremy Farkas
  • Verna Green
  • Emi Izquierdo

Top Tigers receive a recognition certificate and a lunch credit in honor of their work in making TU a great place! If you have received exceptional service from a staff member, please nominate them for a Top Tiger Award. TU faculty, staff and students can nominate TU staff members by submitting a Top Tiger Nomination Form: https://www.towson.edu/about/administration/staff-senate/staff-awards/top-tiger-award.html

MARK YOUR CALENDAR:

TUSS Meeting: July 19, 2023, 1 p.m.
Zoom Direct Link: https://towson-edu.zoom.us/j/98702752003?pwd=N05Id3JZTEhxM2Z4ZUNBRk5OSDAvUT09
Meeting ID: 987 0275 2003
Passcode: TUSSZoom

SENATOR SPOTLIGHT:

Greg Primrose as the Madd Hatter standing in front of an enchanted castle wearing a green suit, long gold coat, white gloves, and oversized checked top hat. He is smiling.This month features Student Affairs Division senator Greg Primrose, IT and National Testing Coordinator in the Division of Student Affairs.

How long have you worked at TU?
15 years as a full-time staff member, and 4 years as a student employee before that.

What is your department and what does your position entail?
I work in the VP of Student Affairs office and provide IT support to the Division of Student Affairs.

What does a typical workday look like for you?
Every day is different. I might be setting up computers in one department, attending meetings, troubleshooting software in another, or reconciling Pro-card transactions.

What do you enjoy the most about your job?
I love working independently, having a division that is distributed around campus so I get to see different things each day, and having a supervisor who supports me.

What is your favorite place to eat on or around campus?
I can be found like clockwork in the West Village Commons Dining Hall.

What do you do to relax?
I love to travel, both internationally and domestically. I also like my Xbox.

What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I think most people know I’m a Firefighter and EMT in my free time, but they may not know I’m also a character actor and do parties and such in costumes like Madd Hatter for Enchanted Teapot in PA.

If you could have any one skill or talent that you don’t already have, what would it be?
Oh, this is a tough one. I’m really torn between a Class A Commercial Driver’s License or full working knowledge of one of the more popular programming languages. Can I have both?

What’s the proudest moment of your life?
Finishing my master’s degree. It was definitely a challenge, took 5.5 years and a few reminders from TU for me to complete it but I did it and walked in 2021. Thank you to those who covered mobility assistance for my ceremony.

Why did you decide to get involved with the TUSS?
In my position, I get to visit every department in my division, and I spend time in every division, so I get to hear what people are saying, and I realized that by being on TUSS, I can be a voice for them if they have concerns they want to bring forward.

Describe what you have learned (or hope to learn) during your time in TUSS?
I hope to learn how to use the position to best advocate for the needs of the staff in Student Affairs and the campus in general.

___________________

Please visit our website for more information about TUSS, details about upcoming meetings, the list of senators, and details about staff awards: https://www.towson.edu/tuss.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Sorensen, Heather