August TUSS News for Staff

The Towson University Staff Senate (TUSS) is the advocate body for all university staff employees. All TU staff are general members of the staff senate and are encouraged to attend meetings. 

Highlights from the recent TUSS Meeting 

• President Schatzel spoke and answered in-person questions
  • STRATUS: The STRATUS team presented details of the upcoming new financial systems. The ProCard process will be digital with the new system. Learn more at www.towson.edu/stratus.
  • Pay Study: The recording of the Market Assessment and Pay Study presentation to TUSS on June 30, 2021, is now available. To view the recording, go to: https://towsonu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=06cb10a0-21a8-4cee-b9d6-ad8101182891 (login required). 
  • Telework: Individuals can request telework via their supervisors, and requests will be evaluated. The group to review the current telework policy will convene in September. Members of this group have not yet been identified. The interim policy will remain in place until changes are ratified.
  • Parking: VP Lowenthal advised that the number of available parking spaces is roughly the same as prepandemic, because of staff members that have moved to 401 Washington. During the first few weeks of the semester, the parking situation will be evaluated as always, and changes made as needed. The rate increase is due to the fact that parking is a self-supported department and there is a state mandate to match their income to their expenses. The only action to be taken this coming year in response to the parking study is to work on transportation infrastructure (hiring drivers, establishing quick shuttle routes, etc).
  • Transfer Mentor Program: Staff volunteers are needed for the Transfer Mentor Program. The deadline to signup has been extended to September 1, 2021. Sign up at https://forms.gle/imBqtAuHSMKnWaNN8.
  • Budget: The FY22 budget is balanced.
  • Buildings: A shuttle is being planned to regularly go to the Armory, 401 Washington and core campus. The new CHP building groundbreaking has occurred. The University Union will open in mid to late September. 
  • Smoke-Free: Vendors and contractors are expected to follow university policies. The smoke-free requirement is written into contracts.
  • COVID: The vaccination percentage of the campus population is over 90%. The university is keeping an eye on the vaccine booster situation.
  • Annual Leave Carryover: HR is working on getting more specifics/clarification about this, so stay tuned. More information can be found at:   https://www.usmd.edu/usm/adminfinance/20200915_annual_leave.pdf
  • Retention: AVP Steve Jones shared the retention and turnover presentation that was presented to the President’s Cabinet. 

Awards 

Board of Regents Staff Awards 

Patricia Watson, Assistant Director of Sustainability, and Julie Leary, Associate Director of Client Services in the Office of Technology Services, are among seven people honored by the University System of Maryland (USM) Board of Regents as recipients of the 2021 USM Regents’ Staff Awards — the highest honor bestowed upon staff across the system. Read more at https://www.towson.edu/news/2021/towson-university-celebrates-board-of-regents-winners-2021.html. 

Nominations are open for next year. Details about how to nominate an exceptional staff member can be found at the USM Board of Regents Staff Awards website. 

Top Tiger 

Join us in congratulating Top Tiger Award recipients: 

• Richard Modeste, Maintenance Mechanic 
  • Taylor Poncher, Event Coordinator 

TU faculty, staff and students can nominate staff members for the Top Tiger award each month by submitting the Top Tiger Nomination Form 

TUSS Wants Your Feedback 

TUSS is considering Campus Spirit Days – days throughout the year when staff campus-wide are invited to show their TU community spirit. Please write to tuss@towson.edu to let us know if you believe you would participate. You are also welcome to share ideas and feedback. 

Mark Your Calendar 

TUSS Meeting: September 15, 2021, at 1 p.m.
Location: Liberal Arts, Room 3150
Virtual: Zoom Direct Link: https://towson-edu.zoom.us/j/98702752003?pwd=N05Id3JZTEhxM2Z4ZUNBRk5OSDAvUT09
Meeting ID: 987 0275 2003
Passcode: TUSSZoom 

Staff Development Conference: March 23, 2022
Just announced: The service project will be the TU FoodShare Program. 

Senator Spotlight: Barb Czajkowski 

This month features the Division of University Advancement’s Non-Exempt Senator, Barb Czajkowski. 

How long have you worked at TU?
20+ years.  In August of 2000, I worked as a contingent cashier in the University Store during “book rush” and filled in from time to time for several months.  On April 1, 2001, I began working full-time in the University Advancement Division.  Over those years I have supported many different directors and worked in Special Events, the Founders Society and now support seven major gift officers. 

What is your department and what does your position entail? 
The Office of Development is the fund-raising area of the University.  As an Administrative Assistant II, I report to the Senior Director of Major Gifts and six other Major Gift Officers. 

What does a typical workday look like for you?
I organize meetings, handle travel arrangements, justify and submit receipts for TU Foundation credit purchases, make gift purchases for major prospects/donors and handle sending these items out, enter contact reports for the major gift officers, arrange guest parking, prepare reports, initiate print orders, order catering, process mailings, and attend/work many UA events on and off-campus.  Other duties as assigned are also added to the list. 

What do you enjoy the most about your job?
I enjoy working with our current students as well as alumni who graduated recently or the ones who graduated way back in the 1940s.  I have met so many wonderful people while working at Towson University. 

What is your favorite place to eat on or around campus?
7720 Café was my favorite place on campus to eat.  Now that we are located at 401 Washington Avenue there are many new food places to check out. 

What do you do to relax?
My favorite place to relax is on a beach – any beach.  When that isn’t possible, I love to spend time with my four grandchildren, my sons and their wives, and/or my six siblings. 

If we were to create a TU playlist, what song would you want to include and why?
We Are Family – Sister Sledge, Whatever it Takes – Imagine Dragons, We Are the Champions – Queen, Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey.  Our division works as a family, we have a fund-raising goal, and we all work hard to achieve it, even during a pandemic.  After our achievements have been recognized we celebrate as a family. 

What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
From age 6 to 18 I swam for the Loch Raven Kiwanis Ravenettes.  We competed in synchronized swimming competitions in the winter and raised money for the Kiwanis organizations by performing water ballet shows at many community and country club pools around the Baltimore area.  It was not the sport that some may have viewed at the Tokyo Olympics, we did not work out in a gym, and our moves were much slower and less robotic. 

What’s one thing you wish you had known when you were a teenager?
I wish I knew to buy stock in Microsoft, IBM and Amazon when they were invented. 

If you could have any one skill or talent that you don’t already have, what would it be?
Sometimes I do wish that I could sing better. 

What’s the proudest moment of your life?
The proudest moment(s) in my life would have to be seeing both my sons mature into kind, smart, loving men.  Seeing them get married and raise their children makes me feel like I must have done something right. 

Why did you decide to get involved with the TUSS?
In 2007, University Advancement needed to fill an open position on TUSS (then TU Staff Council).  I felt with the knowledge I had learned in my first six years on campus and the many people whom I had met, that I could make a difference.  In the past 14 years, the group has only become stronger in its efforts to participate in the joint governance of the university. 

Describe what you have learned (or hope to learn) during your time in TUSS?
As I mentioned, in the past 14 years the group has grown, and many members have come and gone.  I try to help where I can, as needed. 

Please visit the website for more information about TUSS, details about upcoming meetings, the list of senators, and details about staff awards: https://www.towson.edu/tuss. 

Categorised in:

This post was written by Karp, Robert J.